Saturday, February 12, 2011

So Icy and so Late

So Icy and so Late

copyright Rebecca Fisher 2011

Got my coat, hat, and gloves and all of the rest

In this kind of cold you go out fully dressed.

I’d much rather stay home but my dog’s so distressed

That I’m taking a walk though it makes me depressed.

I’ll be out on the road and I’ll feel all alone

The cold and the wind leave me chilled to the bone

The sidewalks are rutted with old ice and snow

I’d rather stay home but the pup’s gotta go,

Years ago my daughter made me say

I’d walk for exercise every day

And always have a dog for a pet

I haven’t broken my promise yet.

I’m not gonna shun my responsibility –

This dog is totally dependent on me.

Though I’m not her mother I’m trying my best

I’ll admit that I love her -- and that she’s a pest!

But something bleak is in the night

There is a dark in all that white

I feel I’m brushed with secret grief

Will telling of it bring relief?

Is it just that my life isn’t quite what I’d hoped it?

Or is modern life just too damn much to cope with?

Would you believe I went out at three thirty a. m.?

That’s right my dog needed a walk once again.

I just wish I hadn’t watched that documentary

About an arctic expedition in the nineteenth century.

Needless to say it was quite a disaster…

Come on, Pooch, let’s get home faster!

No comments: