Thursday, January 27, 2011

Walking the Dog

Walking the Dog

The dog and the kitty have stepped right on in

To fill in the spaces left by my children –

They want to go out, they want to come in,

Now feed me and walk me and walk me again –

I don’t like this dogfood, can I please have liver?

You’re not just my owner, I call you my giver.

The birdies that here nested long since have flown

My children are out living lives of their own.

I’m glad that they’re strong and enjoying their freedom,

I just didn’t realize how much I’d need ‘em!

The dog and the cat, they just can’t fill the gap

Left by the babies no more on my lap.

I never thought parenting children could end

So I put on my boots and my coat and pretend

That walking the dog can leave me fulfilled

But it doesn’t provide any future to build.

My children still need me and call me, it’s true

But it isn’t the same as the years that they grew

From infant to toddler, from youngster to teen

And on to adulthood to make their own scene.

I’m happy to know that they’re doing so well

And how much I miss them I really can’t tell,

And so I send pictures and cheerfully talk

And meanwhile get ready to take my next walk!

No comments: