Monday, June 11, 2012

"Walking Party" -- a Poem

Here is one of the poems I read at a recent "Occu-Poetry" event.

It's sort of a chant.  This poem is special to me because it was written during a walk with my dog, at a time when she was still strong -- just a couple of years ago; she died at the end of January.


Walking Party
I am in a walking party
Of a person and a dog.
On a sunny summer morning
I am strolling past your bog.
Now now don’t you be alarmed that I am walking in your wood
Tho’ my species has done you so much harm
I only want your good.
And tho’ I know there is no way
Our actions can restore
the forest living full of life
The way it was before –
Before the colonizers came, 
They sent ahead their seeds
Invasive plants and animals
And horrible disease.
And the people that lived here before
were driven to their knees.

They knew the uses of the plants
the secrets of the place
the spirit of the earth and sky
a reverential race –
For miles and miles the forest grew
And animals galore
And those that we have made extinct
They never will come more.


But listen to me people I know you can
The time has come to learn
To live more lightly on the land
And witness the Return



No comments: