Saturday, April 13, 2013

Try again!

I'm ready to try this blog again, mainly because I want a place to put my poetry. Here's a poem I found in longhand the other day -- written a few months ago.


I’m Afraid of the Ocean/ after Hurricane Sandy

When I was young we lived inland
and sometimes for a day
We’d take a drive out to the ocean
Just to get away

And one time I remember now
I must have been near ten
I went out in an inner tube
To ride the waves and then

I floated on a rolling hill
Before the foaming break
And on across another
Before seeing my mistake:

Between the tube’s flotation
Trapped inside its buoyancy
I saw that I was drifting fast
Out to the open sea.

There were no other swimmers
Anywhere within my reach
And far away the figures
Of my parents on the beach

A lifeguard stood beside them
As though trying to decide
Whether he ought to rescue me
And swim into the tide.

And all around the water swelled
Unbroken waves of black
And suddenly I realized
I might not make it back

I ducked out of the tube and swam
As hard as I knew how
And though I made it back the fear
Has lasted until now.

I’d never live upon the shore
The ocean’s not for me
Because I’ve felt the menace
In the ancient line of sea –

All this is just a prelude
To the story of the day
How many cottages and lives
The water swept away

Some people had been living
In their little homes for years
And they had weathered many storms
And brushed away all fears

Each morning they would take the dogs
To walk along the beach
In the familiar neighborhood
No need to use a leash

They would enjoy the ocean air
The dogs would get a run
They’d live out their retirement here
The years of work all done.

And so, not listening to advice
That they evacuate
They thought the hurricane would pass
And hunkered down to wait.

But on that night the water rose
The wind was blowing hard
And then they saw the ocean come
Right up into their yard.


It wasn’t even like a wave
But more a moving wall –
One moment it was on the porch
And then was in the hall

And then they knew it was too late
They couldn’t get away
And neither they nor all their pets
Would live to see the day.

The life that seemed so safe was drowned
Beneath the water black,
And though the tide has turned away
Someday it will come back

There is no moral to this tale
No lesson here to learn
Except some people lost their lives
And never will return.

They wouldn’t leave their precious homes
Their lives they couldn’t save –
They heard the ocean’s siren song
And sank beneath the wave.

No comments: